What Happens if I Lose my Job Due to a Car Accident?

What Happens if I Lose My Job After a Car Accident?

Does a Settlement Replace Unemployment?

For many of us, we have our lives at least somewhat planned out.  Find a career we enjoy, set aside enough to retire someday, and ultimately spend our golden years living off the nest egg we have built up.  But what happens if you’re involved in a car accident, through no fault of your own, that leaves you unable to work?  You might not be permanently out of the workforce, but what if your car accident means you can’t work for 6 months, and your employment is terminated?

Here at Herbert and Eberstein, we know that a car accident can turn your life upside down.  Our goal is to make sure that you receive the compensation that you need in order to fully recover from this traumatic time.  If you, or a loved one, have been in a car accident, give us a call at 214-414-3808 and let’s talk about your case; no obligation, just a chat.

Damages You Can Collect after a Car Accident

When it comes to recovering damages after you’re involved in a car accident, there are two ways that lost wages are categorized: special damages and general damages.

Special damages take into account loss of income, bonuses, etc.  These are straightforward to calculate: how much income did you miss out on because you weren’t able to work?  The court will look at the date of the injury to the date when you are cleared to return to work.

General damages are a bit trickier to figure out, as these include future loss of earnings, and potential career growth.  If you lost your job, and subsequently you’re bumped off the ladder to success, you could have lost all of that career growth and the bonuses that come with being higher up in the company.

With the help of a car accident attorney, you can recover both special and general damages.

Getting Back into the Workforce

If you are injured, and unable to work, many people wonder if they can file for unemployment.  They were, after all, terminated involuntarily.

The short answer: no.  Part of collecting unemployment is that you have to be “willing and able” to work.  If you’re recovering from an injury, you don’t meet those qualifications.

However, depending on the circumstances, you might be able to file for disability.  If you have a personal disability policy, or you qualify for social security, it’s worth looking into.

Assuming you make a full recovery, or enough that you are able to return to work at least in some capacity, you have the duty to go look for work.  Your car accident settlement will help to take care of you while you’re down and out, but after you’re physically able to work again, you have the duty to do so.

Have an Attorney Help with Your Claim

Getting in a car accident means there are a lot of different factors that affect your finances.  You have to replace your damaged property, pay medical bills, collect for lost wages now, and calculate wages that will be lost in the future.  When you’re offered a settlement from the insurance company, they’re hoping you aren’t able to fully calculate all of those costs.

Would you understand the full value of the claim, especially while you’re trying to heal from injuries?

If not, then you need to find a personal injury attorney that will fight by your side.  Let Zach Herbert handle the insurance companies and prove that you’ve lost wages.  One less stress on you means a faster recovery and back into the workforce.

Call us at 214-414-3808 to talk about your claim, or simply fill out the contact form for Herbert and Eberstein.